[17:58 Wed,9.March 2022 by Thomas Richter]
It has been clear since the presentation of Apple&s new M1 Ultra Silicon in the new Mac Studio that the new system is right up there with the CPU/GPU performance of current workstations. Now, first benchmark results have surfaced, presumably entered by Apple itself, which confirm the impressive performance of the new system.
Geekbench 5 results of the M1 Ultra
Thus, the M1 Ultra with its 20 cores achieves a result of 1,793 in the single-core benchmark in Geekbench 5 as well as an extremely good result of 24,055 points in the multi-core benchmark and is thus only 5% behind AMD&s 64-core flagship CPU Ryzen Threadripper 3990X with its 25,133 points.
Apple M1 Ultra
The fastest Intel Mac Pro with a 28-core Intel Xeon W chip has a single-core score of 1,152 and a multi-core score of 19,951 in comparison, i.e. the M1 Ultra is 56% /single-core) and 21% /multi-core) faster than it, respectively. A newer Intel Core i9-12900K CPU with 16 total cores beats the M1 Ultra in the multi-core test by a whopping 40% (17,204 points). Important for the benchmark results is the fact that the M1 Ultra achieves this performance with a significantly lower power consumption (maximum 60 watts) than the Intel and AMD CPUs due to the ARM processor architecture and the 5 nm manufacturing process.
M1 Ultra performance vs power comparison
Apple itself had already released some numbers at the launch to demonstrate the relative performance of the new Mac Studio Ultra, but these were naturally rather rough, so the M1 Ultra can play 18 streams of 8K ProRes 422 video and is :
- Up to 3.8 times faster CPU performance than the fastest 27-inch iMac with 3.6 GHz 10-core Intel Core i9 with Radeon Pro 5700 XT processor
- Up to 90% faster CPU performance than the Mac Pro with 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W CPU plus 192 GB RAM and AMD Radeon Pro W5700X GPU
- Up to 60% faster CPU performance than Mac Pro with 2.5 GHz 28-core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB RAM, and AMD Radeon Pro W6900X graphics with 32 GB GDDR6
- Up to 4.5 times faster graphics performance than the 27-inch iMac and up to 80 percent faster than the fastest graphics card currently available for the Mac
- Up to 12 times faster than the 27-inch iMac and up to 5.6 times faster than the 28-core Mac Pro in video transcoding
M1 Ultra compared to other Macs
Apple combines two M1 Max chips in the new M1 Ultra Apple Silicon using its new UltraFusion technology. This creates a new SoC that has exactly twice the number of cores and memory of the previous M1 Max, with 20 CPU cores, 64 GPU cores and 128 GB of unified memory.
Apple Mac Studio
However, the high performance of the M1 Ultra also has a high price, so new Mac Studio with M1 Ultra costs at least 4,599 Euros (M1 Ultra with 64 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD).
M1 Max vs M1 Ultra
more infos at bei browser.geekbench.com
deutsche Version dieser Seite: Erste Apple M1 Ultra Benchmarks: nur knapp hinter 64-Core Spitzenreiter Threadripper 3990X