On November 24 (and beyond), Panasonic will add some nice features to its Lumix cameras via firmware update:
The S1, S1R and S1H will inherit the autofocus technology and performance of the new LUMIX S5. For this purpose, the 5.9K RAW output of the S5 has been added for the Atomos Ninja, among others. In addition, the S5 has a few professional video functions (including vectorscope and master pedestal level). The S1R, which is not so video-affine so far, will also get an internal 5K recording function.
Nice is also the announcement that the S1 users will not be forgotten: A new LUMIX DC-S1 firmware version 2.0 will be released in the first half of 2021: This should allow to manually switch the already suspected Dual Native ISO settings of the sensor. Further improvements for the S1 require the possession of the paid DMW-SFU2 software update, which previously enabled the V-Log recording and MOV functions. This will enable the S1 to also handle 5.9K / 4K / Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K 12-bit RAW video data recording via HDMI to an Atomos NINJA V, time code, and 5.9K/C4K and 4K60/50p 4:2:0 10-bit internal video recording. Customers who already own the DMW-SFU2 extension (=Vlog) can also use the update functions for free.
The AF upgrade for the remaining full-frame models, which will be released on November 24, includes improved detection technologies for human and motion. In addition to the eye, face and body, the head will now also be detected separately using real-time detection technology. The camera should continue to track the person even if they move quickly, turn their head/back to the camera, tilt their head or move far away from the camera.
In addition, improvements in DFD technology are said to have improved the continuous autofocus (AFC), which enables users to follow even small or fast-moving objects. The AF enhancements will be available for both photo and video recording.
The updates include in detail:
- Human/animal detection is available in AF modes[1-Area] and[1-Area+].
- The[AF+MF] mode can be used during video recording
- AF detection during V-Log recording has been improved
- The SS/Gain function was added to S1R, S1 and S5
- A recording indicator frame (red REC frame indicator) was added to S1R and S1
- Added vertical video playback to S1H, S1R and S1
- 4K video files can now be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi (S1H/S1R/S1)
- The S1H and S5 monitors can now display mirrored images when these displays are rotated and Horizontal Image Inversion (Monitor) or Vertical Image Inversion (Monitor) is activated
- 5K recording was added to S1R
- Added 10-bit HDR video recording to S1R (like 2100/HLG)
- High-resolution audio recordings and special menu settings for the microphone adapter DMW-XLR1 have been added to S1R
- The luminance level function in S1R now supports 10-bit images
- Added 4K 60P/50P 4:2:2 10-bit video output via HDMI to S1R
- C4K (4096x2160) video was added to S5.
- S5 has been enhanced with 5.9K / 4K / Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K 12-bit RAW video data output via HDMI Apple ProRes RAW can also be recorded on Atomos NINJA V (S5).
- The display of the vector range has been added to S5.
- Master Pedestal Level was added to S5.
- The photo styles L.ClassicNeo and L.Monochrome S were added to S5