Just in time for the delivery of the new Macs equipped with Apple's its own M1 chip and the launch of the new operating system version macOS 11 "BigSur", the version of its video editing program Final Cut Pro (X) 10.5 and audio tool Logic Pro 10.6 will also be released, which is fully compatible with them.
This adaptation will result in better performance and efficiency and in addition to improved proxy workflow and other minor innovations, there is also a Smart Conform function improved via Machine Learning, which takes advantage of the new Apple Silicon Neural Engine integrated on the M1 chip. Also updated are GarageBand, MainStage, Compressor, Motion and Logic Remote.
Apple also changed the name of Final Cut Pro X and now calls it (as before) Final Cut Pro - a logical step, since Apple had already said goodbye to the nomenclature "OS X" for its operating system in 2016 and since then only calls it macOS (parallel to iOS, watch OS and tvOS).
Smart Conform (aka "Intelligent Fitting") was already introduced in version 10.4.9 and is Apple's answer to Adobe's Auto Frame, the algorithm that automatically adapts videos to different aspect ratios for social media and creates square as well as vertical 9:16 or 16:9 versions in which the main motif remains centered and is not affected by any cropping.
Apple Final Cut Pro
What's new in Final Cut Pro 10.5
- Improved performance and efficiency on Mac computers with Apple silicon.
- Accelerated machine learning analysis for Smart Conform using the Apple Neural Engine on Mac computers with Apple silicon.
- Ability to create a copy of the library and automatically transcode media in ProRes Proxy or H.264 at various resolutions.
- Export high dynamic range HLG projects with Dolby Vision 8.4 metadata for optimized playback on Apple devices.
- Fixes a problem where LUTs were not available in optimized or proxy clips.
- Improves the display of HDR thumbnails in the browser and on the timeline.
- Improves reliability when previewing built-in sound effects in the Browser.
- Fixes an issue where audio waveforms were not updated in the Inspector after a filter was added or a volume change was made.
- Resolves a problem where chapter markers were not available when sharing.
- Improves reliability when creating proxy media from non-square pixel interlaced clips.
- Improves stability when applying stabilization and color balance during import
- Fixes a problem where audio synchronization could drift when retiming clips.
- Improves reliability when positioning social media content when Smart Conform is used to switch between vertical and horizontal frame sizes
- Improves reliability when using screen controls to crop in the viewer.
- Fixes a problem where copying still images between libraries could result in duplicate files.
- Includes built-in support for decoding and playback of Avid DNxHR and Avid DNxHD
Here is a more detailed list of the latest enhancements in Final Cut Pro 10.5.