Japanese microphone specialist Azden has introduced the SGM-250H, a new and improved version of the old SGM-250 shotgun microphone. Designed for professional recording film and TV, the SGM-250H shotgun microphone features a focused hypercardioid electret capsule and an extra-long interference tube that is 50% longer than the previous model. It offers very low noise performance along with a highly directional polar pattern that minimizes extraneous noise from the sides.
Handcrafted in Japan, the Azden SGM-250H&s housing is made of a rugged aluminum and brass alloy that is said to provide durability and protection from RF interference. The SGM-250H is ideal for recording scenarios in amBoom pole applications, according to Azden, and is a great tool for recording sound in an environment with high background noise.
A switchable high-pass filter at 75 Hz provides the ability to attenuate low-frequency noise and, when activated, lowers the frequency response below 75 Hz by 3 dB per octave. The Azden SGM-250H&s frequency response is wide and flat with a slight boost in the midrange to capture the nuances of speech without sacrificing quality. A low signal-to-noise ratio and gold-plated XLR connectors are said by Azden to provide a clean, natural-sounding signal with minimal noise.
Azden offers two custom options for the SGM-250H&s windscreen. The SWS-200 has a dense foam core and furry outer covering for maximum buffering, while the SWS-H (coming soon) is a custom furry cover that slips over the existing foam windscreen and is a more cost-effective option.
Azden SGM-250H is available now for . It is pleasing to note that Azden offers a 10-year warranty on the SGM-250H.
Azden SGM-250H with longer interference tube.
Main features of the Azden SGM-250H.
- Highly focused and directional sound pickup using condenser capsule with hypercardioid characteristic to suppress ambient noise
- Electret capsule circuitry for ultra-low noise and high sensitivity
- Wide frequency response with slight midrange rise for accurate and lifelike audio, ideal for vocals
- Specially designed acoustic interference tube with high-precision, phase-canceling slots produces flat frequency response with excellent directivity and wide dynamic range
- Gold-plated, 3-pin XLR output connector
- Suitable for tripod or boom mounting
- Switchable 75 Hz low-cut filter for attenuating low-frequency noise
- 48 V phantom power via XLR
- Brass and aluminum alloy housing for improved durability and RF resistance in the environment
- Handmade in Japan
- 10-year warranty with online registration
Specifications of Azden SGM-250H .
Frequency response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Low-cut filter: Selectable at 75 Hz / 3 dB per octave.
Polar pattern: hypercardioid
Dynamic range: 114 dB
Sensitivity: -35 dB
Impedance: 100 Ohm
Maximum input sound pressure: 132 dB SPL (1 kHz @ 1% T.H.D.)
S/N ratio: 76 dB (1 kHz @ 1 Pa)
Power requirements: 11 - 50 V phantom
Output: Gold-plated 3-pin XLR
Dimensions: 250 mm x Φ21 mm (L x D)
Weight: 110 g
Accessories: microphone clip, foam windscreen, carrying case