The version number doesn&t suggest it, but the new update to version 17.4 brings Blackmagic&s grading, editing, compositing and audio mastering program DaVinci Resolve (Studio) a whole host of major new features, including up to five times faster editing and grading in 8K on the just-released www.slashcam. de/news/single/New-Apple-MacBooks-Pro-14-16--faster--brighter---16829.html (Apple MacBooks Pros 14/16) with M1 Pro and M1 Max (plus accelerated de/encoding of various formats and support for 120 Hz display via ProMotion), an integration of Dropbox Replay, support for hardware-accelerated H.265 on Windows, a new 3D keyer, and numerous improvements such as in the edit workspace, color management, exporting, and working with subtitles.
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve 17.4
Acceleration for M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook Pros
. The 17.4 update enables DaVinci Resolve to take full advantage of the greatly increased performance of Apple&s new M1 Pro and M1 Max SoCs, such as up to 32 GPU cores, up to 64GB of Unified Memory, and increased memory bandwidth, which form the basis of the new MacBook Pros.
Apple&s new M1 Pro and M1 Max SoCs
So DaVinci Resolve runs at up to five times the speed, resulting in faster playback, editing and color grading of 8K projects and enabling work with up to 12 streams of 8K footage. Also, decoding of Blackmagic RAW files in 12K is accelerated up to 3x and of H.265 up to 1.5x. And the performance of the DaVinci Neural Engine, which is used in functions such as face and object recognition and smart reframing, is also up to 4x faster. In addition, for smoother playback, the ProMotion displays of the new MacBook Pros 14 and 16 are now supported with their refresh rates of up to 120 Hz. Furthermore, HDR viewers are supported on the HDR displays of the new Apple MacBooks.
Collaboration integration via Dropbox Replay
. DaVinci Resolve 17.4 also brings integration with Dropbox Replay, for fluid submission of projects from DaVinci Resolve Studio directly to Dropbox Replay, where they can be conveniently previewed for sharing. Colored markers, comments, and annotations added in Dropbox Replay sync almost instantaneously to the DaVinci Resolve Timeline. Users only need to log in once thanks to the simple login. Other features include quick, easy render setups with dedicated presets for Dropbox and Dropbox Replay, and automatic background uploads whose status is checked and confirmed upon completion.
Dropbox Replay Marker
Edit workspace, color management, ResolveFX, export and subtitles improved
. For subtitles, DaVinci Resolve 17.4 delivers features such as automatic background scaling and cursor placement when creating captions. Nested timeline subtitle tracks now automatically populate the main timeline, speeding up subtitle creation.
Among the improvements to the Edit Workspace is improved curve placement in the Timeline, which allows users to more easily adjust In and Out points when zooming. This creates customized transitions from one point to another when making adjustments to zoom factor or image placement. With the update, users can then also use the DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor in the Edit Workspace to switch between camera perspectives in multicam clips and edit their programs together more quickly. With expanded support for asymmetrical trimming, the In point of a transition can now be adjusted without affecting the Out point, and vice versa. This allows you to fine-tune your work faster.
In DaVinci Resolve 17.4, support for automatic color management has been upgraded, making it faster and easier to set up projects. Furthermore, the update delivers support for ACES 1.3, including gamut compression. Users can therefore display images with a wide color gamut more precisely to ensure an optimal representation of the source image.
A new ResolveFX called Custom Mixer allows combining effects and adjusting gradings with more precise settings. In addition, a new 3D Keyer allows for finer adjustments to keying and matte fine-tuning settings. This makes it easier to create clean mats with more accurate keys and finer edges. DaVinci Resolve Studio has also added a new Light Cast effect for film that adds glow and light reflections to high-contrast edges, intensifying the cinematic look of images.
Timeline markers become YouTube video chapters.
The export of a finished project now goes as an export with YouTube video chapters and with improved encoding settings for the YouTube render preset. In addition, hardware-accelerated H.265 can be used on Windows systems.
Improvements in Fusion and Fairlight
. In In Fairlight Users can download DaVinci Resolve 17.4 (Studio) now for free at Blackmagic Design website(Thanks to Tomek and Frank Glencairn).
What&s new in DaVinci Resolve 17.4 Key Features
- Hardware accelerated Apple ProRes on Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max. - Faster DaVinci Neural Engine performance on Mac OS Monterey. - Native HDR viewers and 120 Hz playback on supported MacBook Pros. - Native Dropbox and Dropbox Replay integration with render presets. - Sync markers, comments, annotations with Dropbox and Dropbox Replay. - Export timeline markers as YouTube video or QuickTime chapters. - Steinberg VST3 support with access to even more audio effects. - Simplified auto color management settings with SDR and HDR selection. - Improved 3D keyer and matte finesse controls. - New Resolve FX including film halation and custom mixers. - Text+ support for combined glyphs, right to left text and vertical layouts. - Subtitles can auto resize backgrounds and decompose to parent timeline.
Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max
- Hardware accelerated Apple ProRes on Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max. - Faster DaVinci Neural Engine performance on Mac OS Monterey. - Smoother 120 Hz UI and playback on M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook Pros. - Native HDR viewers on M1 Pro and M1 Max MacBook Pros. - Native full screen mode on Mac OS.
- Dropbox login within DaVinci Resolve preferences. - Render presets for Dropbox and Dropbox Replay with background uploads. - Sync comments and annotations with Dropbox Replay in Studio. - Sync markers and comments with Dropbox in Studio.
- Subtitle and caption backgrounds now auto-resize to fit text content. - Subtitle tracks in nested timelines now decompose to the main timeline. - Adding a new subtitle caption now auto-focuses on the text area. - Simple titles and subtitles are faster on Apple Silicon systems. - Improved ease in and out functionality for position curves in the timeline. - Options to include effects and grades for render in place operations. - Switch multicam angles in the edit page with the speed editor. - Ability to mark selection for timeline gaps. - Edit asymmetric audio transitions created in the Fairlight page. - Trim video and audio transitions asymmetrically using cmd/ctrl. - Fine audio clip gain adjustments using shift + mouse drag. - Support for pasting retime attributes on audio clips. - Option to limit audio sync to the first timecode match. - Preview composite modes by hovering over each mode in the inspector. - Ability to set per-clip deinterlace quality in the inspector. - New square iris transition. - Support for custom aspect ratio controls for shape transitions. - Improved overlays for Fusion tools in the viewer. - Improved undo support for Fusion effects and Text+ in the inspector. - Support for folder based organization of effect templates. - New customizable key actions to go to previous/next timeline tabs. - Ability to close timeline tabs with middle click. - Preview generators and titles from the effects panel in the cut viewer.
- Support for an automatic mode for color managed projects. - Support for ACES 1.3, gamut compression and new CSC transforms. - New 3D Keyer with new modes, better selection/stroke logic, live feedback. - Improved HSL and luma keyers with updated matte finesse controls. - Track forward and back with a single action in trackers and magic masks. - Node tooltips now indicate LUT and effect type present. - Dragging new links to layer and key mixers auto-creates node inputs. - Dragging color nodes over key links creates key-to-RGB connections. - Added individual primary and secondary tool icons for faster switching. - Clip filters for timeline clips with Dolby Vision analysis or trim. - Disabled clips are now shown as gray in the timeline. - Support for applying camera LUTs and CDLs to ARRI MXFProRes clips. - The printer light state is now persisted across application restart. - Navigating to markers in the timeline now auto scrolls to center marker.
- Film halation emulates film stock reflections and scatter with Studio. - Custom mixer to combine effects and grades with finer control. - Improved 3D, HSL and Luma keyers in edit and Fusion. - Better noise handling and key refinement for existing keyers. - Improved patch replacer with ability to align source and target. - Film grain with interactive previews and grain freeze options.
- Support for Steinberg VST3 audio effects on Mac OS and Windows. - Ability to reorder, move and duplicate effects in the mixer. - Support for copying clip ranges with partial fades. - Single sided audio transitions are now displayed as fades. - Support for multi channel audio outputs on Linux. - Waveform displays visible at smaller track heights and lower zoom levels. - Ability to shift-click and cmd-click on keyframe selections in the timeline. - Navigating to previous or next timeline marker now selects the marker. - Improved default processing order in Fairlight mixers. - Automation curves display current values when no automation is present. - Flashing edit cursor in edit selection mode. - Improved column order and search behavior in the clip index. - Improved jog, scroll and shuttle with the editor keyboard and speed editor. - Fairlight FX meters have resizable displays and improved channel labels. - Improved audio performance when using Blackmagic monitoring devices.
- Text+ support for combined glyphs and right to left language layouts. - Improved vertical Text+ layout, vertical glyphs, rotation and line direction. - Improved Text+ character grouping, spacing, underlining and borders. - Text+ supports per-character stylistic sets for supported fonts. - Support for OpenType features, including old-style numbers in Text+. - Multiple Text+ improvements for character styling and animation. - Hover to show tool descriptions in the effects panel and add tool window. - Improved default tracker search and pattern size for grid warps. - New search area scale slider in tracker options.
Codecs and File I/O
- Improved encode settings for YouTube render preset. - Option to export a timeline marker color as YouTube video chapters. - Option to export a timeline marker color as QuickTime chapter markers. - Support for decoding opus audio in QuickTime and MP4 clips. - Hardware accelerated Panasonic 8K AVC decodes on Apple Silicon. - Improved decode speeds for ARRI ARX clips. - Hardware accelerated H.265 encodes on free version on Windows. - H.264 encode profile options on supported Nvidia systems with Studio. - H.264/H.265 encode bit rate controls on supported Windows Intel systems. - Faster hardware acceleration on Windows Intel systems with Studio. - Support for rendering EXRs with ZIP1 compression. - Ability to add custom languages in DCP/IMF composition naming options. - Ability to use approved operator / rating / region lists for DCP naming. - Marker support in the IO encode plugin SDK. - Ability to bypass re-encodes for Sony XAVC Intra clips. - Improved retention of comments metadata for third party XML workflows. - Improved display of render job names with tooltips.
- Right click audio icon to adjust volume on media, color and deliver pages. - Auto-identifying media storage sequential image formats as stills or clips. - Prompt to overwrite existing projects when invoking save as. - Locked project indicator for PostgreSQL databases with usage info tooltip. - Ability to clone a PostgreSQL database from the project manager. - Ability to export PostgreSQL access keys from the project manager. - Option to import into current timeline when importing an AAF. - Scripting API support to access inspector properties for video clips. - Scripting API support to set playhead position on the timeline. - Scripting API support to get color version for video clips. - Scripting API support for reflecting upload status in render job APIs. - Scripting API support for setting network optimization in render jobs. - Scripting API support for H.264 multi-pass encode option in Mac OS. - Improved scripting property set when querying MediaIn nodes. - Addressed an issue with Vimeo login. - General performance and stability improvements.