Canon has released new firmware for its EOS C500 Mark II (firmware version 22.214.171.124) and the EOS C300 Mark III (firmware version 126.96.36.199) full-frame cameras that, among other things, enhance their live production capabilities. Key new features include support for the XC protocol for remote control of camera functions or integration with multi-camera solutions; face detection and tracking, including for slow-motion / time-lapse recording; support for 120p / 100p AF; and audio level metering for all four audio channels. However, the announced support for Frame.IO&s C2C (Camera to Cloud) service for fast transfer of video files for collaborative work is not yet included in the new firmware.
Canon EOS C500 Mark II
Accompanying this, Canon has also released new versions of several accompanying tools such as the Canon XF 3.11 and Canon RAW Plugin 2.12 plugin for Avid Media Access, Canon XF Utility 3.11 and Cinema RAW Development 2.10.
Here&s our Test of the Canon EOS C300 Mark III: New S35 reference in 4K signal processing? and our Test of the Canon EOS C500 Mark II: Modular full-frame camera with 6K RAW and Dual Pixel AF - skin tones, autofocus as well as Test of the Canon EOS C500 Mark II - the best documentary camera? Ergonomics, stabilization, sensor readouts and conclusion.
Canon EOS C300 Mark III
All the new features of the firmware update.
1. adds support for the Canon Expansion Unit 3[EU-V3].
2. adds the focus position assist function.
3. adds support for additional commands for Canon IP[XC protocol].
4. the following functions are enabled when the following lenses are attached: CN8×15 IAS S/E1, CN8×15 IAS S/P1, CN-E45-135mm T2.4 L F, CN-E45-135mm T2.4 L FP.
- Display of metadata, such as model name and focal length of the attached lens.
- Display of T-number
- Support for peripheral illumination correction and lens aberration correction. (EF only)
- Support for Dual Pixel CMOS AF autofocus (EF only).
- Support for[Dual Pixel Focus Guide] (EF only). 5.
5. activates autofocus when frame rate for S&F shooting is set to 24/25/30/48/50/60/100/120 frames per second. (Canon EOS C500 Mark II only)
6. activates face detection and tracking when the frame rate is set to 24 to 120 frames per second for slow motion/time-lapse shooting (Slow and Fast modes).
7. supports 4CH display in audio display.
8. improves retention of shooting settings when switching between normal shooting and S&F shooting.
9. adds[Canon 709 / BT.709] in gamma/color space in custom image setting.
10. Adds[CMT 709] in LUT and Sub Rec color conversion.
11. Adds[G Gain] in White Balance in Custom Image Settings.
12. adds support for CFExpress VPG 400 (Video Performance Guarantee).
13. Fixes minor issues when using the CINE-SERVO lens.