DJI has released a major firmware update for its 4-axis gimbal camera system DJI Ronin 4D and the accompanying 7" high brightness wireless monitor that brings numerous new features. For example, after firmware update v01.04.0100, the Ronin 4D can record in both Apple ProRes 4444XQ and 422LT codecs and output clean video at up to 4K at 60 fps via its HDMI output.
DJI Ronin 4D Gimbal Camera System
However, due to the high bit rate, ProRes 4444XQ can only be recorded by the DJI PROSSD, and also no HDMI signal can be output during recording, and both exposure assist, peak focus, and LiDAR waveform display are automatically disabled when recording ProRes 4444XQ at 6K/48fps or 4K/96fps. In addition, Jam Sync is supported via the 3.5mm microphone connector using an external timecode generator to synchronize different cameras, and the HDMI signal is supplemented with a timecode and recording trigger signal for third-party external monitors.
High-Bright Monitor Update.
The High-Bright 7" wireless monitor also gets some handy new features via firmware update v01.04.0100, such as support for anamorphic display desqueezing the display to a normal aspect ratio for monitoring shots with anamorphic lenses and a real-time display of data from the gimbal&s three axes.
DJI High-Bright 7" Remote Monitor for Ronin 4D.
DJI advises updating both the video transmitter and the High-Bright Remote Monitor to the latest firmware version and connecting all accessories to the Ronin 4D before updating the Ronin 4D.
Here&s our Review of the DJI Ronin 4D: ProRes RAW and 3D LiDAR in practice - the robotics film future?.
DJI Ronin 4D
The DJI Ronin 4D gimbal integrates the Zenmuse X9 full-frame camera and is the world&s first 4-axis stabilized cinema camera, according to DJI. Its features include a LiDAR focusing system, internal recording in ProRes RAW, a built-in ND filter, an interchangeable mount system, and a new video transmission and control system in a single device. DJI is aiming this squarely at professional filmmakers and high-end productions, whom the new system is designed to easily enable spectacular camera moves.
DJI Ronin 4D Gimbal Camera System
- Support for ProRes 4444XQ and ProRes 422LT recordings has been added.
- Added support for using Jam Sync via the external timecode generator and 3.5-mic
- Support for using DJI Ronin 4D Hand Grips Mount Universal Adapter connects to Ronin-S External GPS module to increase stability when shooting with the Ronin 4D at high speeds.
- Added support for outputting clean HDMI footage via HDMI connector.
- Added support for outputting HDMI footage at up to 4K 4:2:0 60fps when shooting in 4K.
- Added zoom control for using the right hand grip to control the focus motor with the manual E-mount zoom lens.
- Added support for output signal with internal timecode and recording trigger signal via HDMI connector.
- Added support for focus assist by double-clicking to zoom in.
- Added Frame Guide and Safety Zone during playback.
- Added automatic cycle for individual shots during playback.
- ActiveTrack speed settings added.
- Added support for menu control with the right handle.
- Information on equivalent 35mm focal length is now read into ProRes metadata.
- Added support for anamorphic display desqueezing for the high-brightness main monitor.
- Added real-time readout of mobile data from the gimbal&s three axes for High-Bright Remote Monitor.
- Fixed issue: Noise was too loud when auto-tuning was performed.
- Fixed issue: Ronin 4D was shaking at high frequency when tilted with Z-axis in lock mode.
- Fixed issue: Preset timecode in REC run mode was reset after gimbal restart.
- Fixed issue: The noise was too loud when the built-in ND was switched with an E-mount lens.
- Problem solved: The camera restarted when the right hand grip was used to adjust the aperture with a manual lens.