Sony has released firmware update 1.1.0 for its professional AirPeak S1 drone. The Sony AirPeak S1 quadcopter is specifically designed to work with Sony professional full-frame Alpha cameras, such as the new Alpha 1, Alpha 7S or 7R, Alpha 9 or even the FX3 (which is closely related to the Sony Alpha 7S III). So besides improvements like the ability to exactly repeat a flown route offline without cloud connectivity and support for sending a remote ID for identification, the new firmware update also brings some new features that affect exactly this collaboration, for example more detailed camera settings (including drive mode and file format) and support for more cameras.
Sony AirPeak S1 with camera
Sony AirPeak S1 - What's New with Firmware 1.1.0.
- Supports Direct Repeat Flight function: a previously flown path can be instantly repeated offline without connecting to the cloud
- Adds new camera settings such as drive mode or file format that can be controlled. In addition to settings such as aperture value or shutter speed that can currently be controlled, more detailed camera settings such as drive mode or file format are now supported. The options that can be set differ depending on the camera model.
- Added camera models that can use focus-related functions (displaying a focus frame, moving the focus point in some focus modes).
- Supports preview display for still images taken during a flight: If the Show still images as thumbnails option is enabled in the General Settings under Display, still images taken during a flight will have thumbnails displayed at the bottom right of the screen.
- Adding the ILCE-7M4 as a preset in the main gimbal settings.
- The position or order of various aircraft, remote control, camera or gimbal functions on the flight screen can be changed by pressing and holding the side menu on the flight screen
- Supports the remote ID function, which sends identification information remotely via radio waves
- Fixes an issue where landing is sometimes unstable when the Vision Positioning feature is disabled
- Fixes an issue where autofocus is restarted when the shutter button is pressed, even if the focus is already set
- Fixes an issue where the Vision Positioning function is not enabled when the flight mode is set to Std (speed), and where the Vision Positioning function is not disabled when the flight mode is set to Alt (altitude)
Note: The drone, remote controller and Airpeak Flight Mobile App will all be updated at the same time. After the update, the system software version of the drone and remote control will be 1.1.0 and the version for the Airpeak Flight Mobile App will be 1.2.0.
The AirPeak S1 is the world's smallest drone that can be equipped with a full-size mirrorless Alpha camera with interchangeable lens, according to Sony. It ships without a camera or gimbal and costs around ,000.