Sony has released firmware updates for the FX3 full-frame cine camera ( firmware V 3.00) and the FX30 APS-C or Super35 entry-level model of its Cinema Line cameras ( firmware V2.00), which give the two cams some interesting new features, such as the ability to record video at DCI 4K as well as 24.00p, and in-camera anamorphic de-squeeze.
While neither the Sony FX3 nor the FX30 have anamorphic modes, thanks to the firmware update, videos shot with anamorphic lenses can now be viewed correctly via de-squeezing in-camera without having to use an external monitor. However, the de-squeezed images can also be output via HDMI. However, de-squeezing is limited to 1.33x and 2x and is only available in log mode. The also new Breathing Compensation minimizes the shift of the image angle when the focus point shifts when using compatible lenses.
The new firmware provides the FX3 and FX30 with the option of recording DCI 4K (4,096 x 2,160) and true 24p - handy for movies that will be shown in theaters - fortunately a functionality that was previously only available on the much more expensive FX6 model.
The two cams also get support for the March launched
Sony Creators App, which replaces the Imaging Edge mobile app and adds a host of new cloud features, including the ability to upload videos and photos to the cloud and view and manage content stored there, as well as remotely control the camera. Previously, only the Sony Alpha 7 IV and ZV-1F were compatible with the Creators App.
All the new features introduced by Sony FX3 firmware 3.00 and FX30 firmware 2.00.
- Adds support for Breathing Compensation
- Adds support for DCI 4K (4,096 x 2,160) and 24.00p recording
- Adds a function to display compressed movies on the monitor during movie recording and playback with an anamorphic lens, correcting the CinemaScope aspect ratio according to the ratio of the anamorphic lens
- Adds a function to switch Slow & quick (slow/quick recording mode) and Movie (movie mode) with a user-defined button
- Adds support for the Creators& App. This replaces the Imaging Edge Mobile App and enables transfer of camera images to smartphone, remote recording, and various other functions.
- Adds a feature that increases security for remote shooting and image transfers when using the Creators& App and Imaging Edge Desktop software.
- Note: Update the Imaging Edge Desktop software to the latest version (version 3.6 or later).
- Movie file names now support Long File Name format.
- Improves the operational stability of the camera
Attention: several things should be considered before updating - see the respective firmware pages at Sony for more information.
Bild zur Newsmeldung: